This past week I had the opportunity to share some information and samples of upcycled or refashioned clothing on Local 5 Live. Here is the link if you would like to see the segment!
This has become such an art! But honestly beginners can do this very easily. The samples on the show were done by Theresa and they are her first attempts! They are wonderful!
Reasons to upcycle:
- Express your own personality whether it be subtle or flamboyant
- Your favorite T-shirt, sweater, etc. has a stain (aaaggghhhh) on it
- The dryer has shrunk your sweater or pants and now you don’t like how they look on you
- Gather fun clothes and put them together to make a one of a kind piece
- Perfect way to live “green” and reuse items
Think out of the box when looking for fabric. How about home dec fabric? Pillowcases, decorative pillows, valances, etc. offer some different patterns and textures. You probably would not want to make a whole garment from these, but they can certainly add interest.
Add a piece of crochet lace to a shoulder seam, a zipper to the side of a shirt, a collar to a collarless shirt, a cute cuff on a pair of pants, the ideas are endless!
Here are pictures of a onesie with a small piece of ruffle fabric added. How cute is this?!!!!
I encourage you to give this a try. Just take a piece of clothing out of your closet that you haven’t worn in awhile, take look at it and think about how to refashion it. You have nothing to lose!